Friday, May 25, 2012

Why I relay

Most people have heard of the American Cancer Society. Most people know of Relay for Life. I relay. Do you?

I relay for my aunts, both of whom have had cancer. One twice. One put up a brave fight, but was unable to defeat it. I relay for my mom. Not only has she been there for both of her sisters, she was there herself. I relay for my grandparents. Nobody should have to watch any of their children go through that, let alone all three of them. I relay for my sisters and myself. I relay for my children, in hope that they will never have to hear that diagnosis. I relay for my patients.

I relay in hope that one day, cancer will not be devastating. That hearing the word will not send people into a state of shock, grief. That if you are told you have cancer, there is a 100% survival rate.

 I relay because cancer sucks. Period. It sucks to have it. It sucks to hear a loved one has it. It sucks to have to stay strong when all you want to do is fall apart, even if just for a moment. It sucks to have to make the decision on when to stop treatment. It sucks to hear the treatment has been ineffective.

I don't want anyone to have to go through that.


This year, I am a co-captain for my team. If you feel strongly that cancer sucks, you can donate to my team's fundraising goal at: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY12GW?pg=team&fr_id=38351&team_id=1202585,
or to my individual goal at: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY12National?px=29272192&pg=personal&fr_id=38351

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment