Thursday, April 19, 2012

One year

It's hard to believe that just over a year ago, we loaded a Penske truck and began our journey back to Oregon. We left Oklahoma on April 2, and it was in 80s.... We drove through wind gusts in Kansas that topped 70 MPH, and thought my little Nissan was a vampire, and needed to be stacked with a tumbleweed the size of a Saint Bernard (we spent an extra 2 days in Kansas, getting a new radiator). We drove through snow in Colorado, across Salt Plains in Utah, and down steep mountainsides with no guardrails with a 1000 ft drop (did I mention how curvy that road was?). We arrived in Oregon to freezing temperatures and snow April 8, 2011.

Not necessarily a pleasant trip, but no unpleasant either. We saw some beautiful scenery, although I really wish we could've afforded to stop and take more time.

I started work April 18. And met some wonderful people, coworkers and patients, that have influenced my life for the better. I honestly don't know if I could've made it through everything if not for them.

There has definitely been tons of stress: the move itself, staying with the in-laws for a few months, buying a house, moving (again) into our new house, starting a new job, adjusting to continually changing Medicare regulations, getting the kids settled and into a routine (yea, we are still working on that one...). Now that a year has gone by, hopefully, most of these adjustments are in the final stages.

I get homesick for Oklahoma sometimes, but that will probably always be the case. I miss my family. I worry about my grandparents. I miss the wide open space. I don't miss the blistering cold and ice of the winter or the sweltering heat of the summer.

I love the mountain view out of my front and back doors. The more temperate seasons are a bonus as well. Spending a summer day rafting down the Rogue. Being able to go get a gallon of milk AND return home within 30 minutes (instead of just arriving at the store) sure is nice as well. Sean goes to a good school where he has really blossomed.

It is amazing that so much has changed in such a short period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment