Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Simplicity

Simplicity. What a wonderful word. What images it brings to mind. A covered front porch with a swing, a glass of lemonade. The laughter of a child. Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. A colorful kite in the spring blue sky. Catching fireflies in the warm summer night. 

How quickly we seem to lose the simplicity of childhood pleasures. How eager we are to "grow up" as we go through the rites of passage into adulthood. How easily we give in to the demands of daily life, allowing the stresses to override the pleasures. 

I am striving to regain the simplicity. To allow my children to be children. To enjoy them, even when they don't do as I ask. To show them that I will always love and cherish them. To encourage their imaginations and  creativity. 

I am striving to allow simplicity into my marriage. Holding hands, discussing nothing in particular, laughing over the kids' antics, or the dogs' antics. To STOP feeling like I need to be in control, to stop worrying so much (I know I will never stop worrying completely).  I want to sit on that front porch swing, watching the sun set with an ice cold glass of lemonade, holding hands with my husband. I want us to last another 50+ years. 

1 comment: