Friday, February 24, 2012

Spring Fever

I have caught the bug.... The gardening bug. I can't wait until I can dig into the ground and plant some seeds, watch them grow. Of course, the forecast is for snow tonight....

I want to do edible landscaping. A mix of edibles and ornamentals. We have a beautiful Japanese maple and pink dogwood in our front yard, I'm not getting rid of those! But the half dead boxwoods, are going to go! I would really like to not have grass in the front yard at all, it is a pretty small area, maybe about 10x15 or so. I need to go out and measure the beds so I can really get my plan down.

I like the idea of growing more of my own fruits and vegetables. Partly because it is cheaper. But there is also something therapeutic about digging in the earth, weeding, staking, watching the sprouts grow, and harvesting. Plus, what a great thing to teach the boys now, while they are young. That food doesn't just magically appear in the grocery store, that somebody, somewhere had to grow it, tend to it.

I know I am going to have to do my landscaping over a few years, we just cannot afford to dig the entire yard up and replant. Nor do I want to do that. Yes, there are plenty of things I want to get rid of. But there are also plenty I would like to keep. There are beautiful rhododendrons, roses, climbing clematis, dusty millers. I would love to add some peonies, hydrangea, a couple of hostas, elephant ears, oh my... I could go on. And that is just on the ornamentals...

I want tomatoes, squash, basil, oregano, strawberries, asparagus, cilantro, green beans, pumpkins, watermelon, lettuces, spinach, onions, all sorts!

I will have to figure out how to keep it looking pretty throughout the year, which will probably be the hard part. Growing up, if we had a garden, there was a designated section, with rows of each plant. Living in town, with a small yard, that may be difficult to do and still leave room for the kids and dogs.

Guess it's a good thing I plan on taking some time to get this figured out!

Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment